Dutch Farm Experience believes in the power of joint learning by sharing sustainable experiences. Dutch Farm Experience facilitates direct linkages between development experts in developing countries and the Netherlands – and provides support to dairy farming projects worldwide.
1. Training programs and tailor-made farm tours
Our tailor-made training programs for groups of veterinarians, government- university- and other (livestock) development visiting the Netherlands are often located on Dutch farms. Trainings include background info on Dutch farming, visits to various farm types, and analysis of how to use the lessons learnt in the own country context.
- Institute of International Education (IIE) European Office – field visit and training for Agriculture Future of America (AFA) Global Fellows Program (2016)
- Governance and Food Safety in International Food Chains course – for Centre of Development Innovation (CDI Wageningen University) – field visits (2016)
- World Bank, Food Quality Global Solutions Group – field visit during Knowledge4Food study tour (2015)
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine Gent, Belgium – field visit and training in International Program in Dairy Nutrition (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Agricultural Development Trust, Baramati Agricultural College, India – one week course (2015)
- Food Otherwise Conference - field visit for conference participants to organic dairy farm with unique marketing methods (2014)
- Agri-Profocus – support to field visit to dairy farm with APF country representatives (2014)
- Van Hall Larenstein of Wageningen University – field day during study tour of Farmer Field School Centre of Excellence in Fayoum, Egypt (2013)
- Land Academy – the IS Academy on Land Governance for Equitable and Sustainable Development – summer school (2013, 2014)
- Agriculture in Transition course Centre of Development Innovation (CDI) Wageningen University (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- Priknu A/s, Denmark, firm of catering and restaurant business (2014)
- Prosto Moloko Dairy Company, Tatarstan Russia (2014) – one week course
- Association of Small African Projects (ASAP) (2013)
- Elective Course Tropical Animal Health Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University Utrecht (2012)
- Waterschap Rijn & IJssel (Water Government Rijn & IJssel Region): training of environmental coordinators of local governents in the Watershed program in Chontales, Nicaragua (2012, 2014)
- PTC+ agricultural school Barneveld chicken and pig husbandry (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- PTC+ agricultural school Oenkerk – dairy husbandry (2011)
- Bill Gates dairy program Kenya (group of dairy extension workers, 2011)
- ETC Foundation – Urban Agriculture program (RUAF) (group of visitors from China, 2011)
- ETC Foundation – Prolinnova program (Prolinnova international coordinators, 2010)
2. Support and exchange programs
Dutch Farm Experience is the leading company within the exchange programs of the Natural Livestock Farming (NLF) Network with emphasis on reduced use of antibiotics and other chemicals in dairy farming. We also provide support to international dairy training programs with participatory methodologies and Dutch Farm Experience information. Concepts used include: the NLF 5-layered strategy for reduced antibiotic use, endogenous livestock development, wheel of animal production and wellbeing, and 4 livestock production systems. Includes programs on medicinal plants with Indian partner organization Trans-Disciplinary University.
- Province of Overijssel Agro&Food program : organize exchange programs and symposia about reduced use of antibiotics in dairy farming
- E-Motive Exchange program of Oxfam Novib: develop and guide exchange program between Netherlands and India on reduction of antibiotic use in dairy farming – see film GREEN ANTIBIOTICS (2014 and 2015)
- Livestock program of Solidaridad Asia: Develop animal health monitoring system for smallholder dairy program of Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security and Linkages (SaFaL) project in Bangladesh (2014-2015)
- Institute of Ayurvedic and Integrated Medicine (I-AIM) and Technical Training Program: Dairy training program on use of medicinal plants for veterinarians in dairy cooperatives in three south Indian States (2013-2014)
- FAO Angola: Training of Livestock Technician Trainers for training Community Based Livestock Auxiliaries (2011)
3. Studies to sustainable livestock farming
Studies on a variety of topics related to sustainable livestock production in a changing context. Special expertise in livestock & climate change, and reduction of antibiotic use.
- Ministry of Economic Affairs Netherlands – Topsector Agri-Food (in commission of Livestock Research Institute, Wageningen University): Study (May 2013): Livestock, the World and the Dutch: a quick scan of opportunities in nine countries (Russia, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Korea, Turkey, Ethiopia, Kenya and Mexico) – including the Full Country Reports
- Veterinaires Sans Frontieres (VSF) Europe Study (2012): Small-scale Farmers and Climate Change: what can EU citizens do to support climate change adaptation amongst small-scale farmers? (forthcoming)
- Agri-Profocus Study (2011) Livestock in Dutch Development Cooperation – inventory of Livestock-related activities of Agri-Profocus members
4. Linkages and matchmaking
Linkages with livestock-related organizations and networks worldwide. Matching your organization or business with similar partners in the Netherlands. In addition Dutch Farm Experience offers evaluation of livestock and dairy farming projects.